Are you ready for a chewy chocolate chip cookies recipe that is out of this world delicious yet also gluten-free and healthier than most chocolate chip cookie recipes? I think I just heard you say, “Yes!”
Don’t worry, it won’t take long to make these dark chocolate delights a reality; These soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies can be made in just 30 minutes.
The Perfect Cookie Texture
What makes a chewy chocolate chip cookie? How do you make cookies soft and chewy? How do you make cookies chewy not cakey? How can you make a hard cookie soft? These are just some of the many questions people ask when on their quest to create the perfect cookie texture.
Of course, the perfect texture is a matter of personal opinion, but let’s talk about some of the ways to create your ideal cookie results. Think of this as a mini baking lesson.
If your end goal is to make your homemade cookies…
- Thicker: There are a few things that can help to make cookies thicker as well as softer. First, combine a higher temperature with a shorter baking time to create thicker as well as softer cookies. Creating round dough balls (rather than flat) also helps bakers to obtain softer, thicker cookies. (1)
- Thinner: Adding more sugar typically makes cookies thinner, but skip the refined sugar and opt for a healthier option like the coconut sugar used in this recipe. Of course, I always recommend adding as little of any sugar as possible. Another thing that helps to create thinner cookies is to flatten the cookie dough balls before they go into the oven.
- Fluffier: If fluffy is your goal, opt for baking powder in place of baking soda in a recipe. Both contribute to fluffiness, but baking powder trumps baking soda here. Keep in mind that a quarter teaspoon of baking soda is equivalent to one teaspoon of baking powder. Both baking soda and baking powder also contribute to a lighter colored cookie in the end.
- Softer/Chewier: Including a melted fat like butter or coconut oil makes for wetter batter, and it also generates more holes in the dough that are smaller which results in a softer, chewier cookie texture.
- Cakier: For a cakey texture, keep the fatty ingredient (like butter or coconut oil) cold because this will result in a cookie with larger holes and hence a cakier texture.
What if you end up with hard cookies and you really didn’t want them to be hard? You can try putting the cookies into an airtight container and add several slices of a water-rich fruit such as a fresh apple. Wait a few hours. In theory, the cookies will soak up the moisture from the apples and be a bit softer. If all tricks fail, I’ve never met a hard cookie that a glass of milk didn’t soften.
One serving of this chewy chocolate chip cookies recipe contains about:
- 170 calories
- 3.7 grams protein
- 12.8 grams fat
- 13.9 grams carbohydrates
- 1.6 grams fiber
- 7.7 grams sugar
- 125 milligrams sodium (8 percent DV)
How to Make Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
There are so many chocolate chip cookie recipes out there, but after you try this one, you just might consider it the best chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe ever. I’m happy to say that you can actually use healthier ingredients, ditch the gluten-heavy flour and still create incredible cookies.
How to make chewy chocolate chip cookies starts out with combining the wetter ingredients. Next, you add the dry ingredients into the mix. Don’t forget you can also make the Paleo flour blend yourself! Now it’s time for the delicious dark chocolate chips to get folded in.
At this point, you have your final cookie dough, and you can form it into balls before putting them onto your baking sheet.
Let’s get started on making these. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
In a medium bowl, combine the coconut oil, coconut sugar, egg, almond butter and vanilla extract. Whisk together and set aside.
In a small bowl, add in the remaining ingredients, minus the chocolate chips, and mix until well-combined.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix until well-incorporated.
Add the dark chocolate chips.
Add the dark chocolate chips. Fold them into the mix.
Scoop out about 2 tablespoons of dough and form into a cookie shape. Place each cookie on a 9×11 baking sheet, spaced 1–2 inches apart.
Bake for 10 to 11 minutes. Take them out of the oven and cool on a rack for at least 20 minutes before offering them up!
Enjoy your homemade soft, chewy chocolate chip cookies!
Want to just eat cookie dough? Try our Paleo, vegan and gluten-free edible cookie dough recipe!Print
We’re all on a mission: Finding the best chocolate chip cookie on the planet. In our humble, opinion, this one is it because it’s chewy (a must!) and loaded with healthy ingredients yet still deliver that classic chocolate chip cookie punch. Enjoy!
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon Paleo flour blend
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips (70% or darker)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients: coconut oil, coconut sugar, egg, almond butter and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, add in the remaining dry ingredients, except the chocolate chips, and mix until well-combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until well-incorporated, then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Cover dough and let chill in the fridge for about 10 minutes to make it easier to work with. (Optional)
- Scoop out about 2 tablespoons of dough and form into a cookie shape. Place each cookie on a 9×11 baking sheet, spaced 1–2 inches a part.
- Bake for 10–11 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place on cooling rack. Let cool for at least 20 minutes before diving in.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Category: Desserts, Sncks
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cookie (37g)
- Calories: 197
- Sugar: 7.7g
- Sodium: 125mg
- Fat: 12.8g
- Saturated Fat: 7.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 13.9g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Protein: 2.9g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
Keywords: chewy chocolate chip cookies, best chocolate chip cookies, soft chocolate chip cookies